VCTC update, 17 March 2020
Van Cortlandt Track Club has decided to cancel the Urban Environmental Challenge 5K and 10K, slated for Sunday, 5 April, in the interest of public health and safety.
Because it is not really clear when the coast will be clear, we chose not to set another date – but if we can do the Urban later in the year, we will let you know first thing.
A real trail race in New York City!
Join the Van Cortlandt Track Club on Sunday April 5 at 10am at the Tortoise and Hare Statue in historic Van Cortlandt Park for the annual Urban Environmental Challenge, a rugged, technical trail race in the heart of the Bronx.
Also a 5k option
The 10k course is 2 loops on the technical trails of the park. Last year we added a shorter option, which will be just the first loop of the race and then back to the start at the Tortoise and the Hare.
- Sunday, April 5, 2020, 10:00 a.m. start time
- In the case of bad weather, the race goes on!
- $22 pre-registration, $30 race day.
- Special discounts for runners aged 14 to 18. Please write Race Director.
- Race swag to first 400 registered runners.
- Age group Awards:
- 10K winners take home delicious Lloyd’s carrot cakes; second place finisher receive muffins.
- 5K winners receive muffins.
- Raffle follows race with prizes from local businesses!
- Your race fees go to support Van Cortlandt Park’s trail maintenance and youth programs.
- Children’s race takes place at 11:00
- Free, sign up day of
- Older runners will do a half-mile, younger folks will compete in shorter distances.
- Public transportation: Take the 1 Train to the end of the line and walk 500 yards. Please check on line for subway updates. Runners can take Metro North Hudson Line to Marble Hill from 125th Street, or Grand Central Station, or anywhere along the line. Check train times here (make sure the time is for Sunday schedule)
- From Marble Hill, it is about a 1.5 mile jog to start of race, or take the 1 Train to the end of the line at Van Cortlandt.
- Drivers: Free Parking is available at the Van Cortlandt Golf Clubhouse and all along Broadway.
For further information, please contact Kate Donovan, race director, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks to our sponsors and supporters, including Lloyd’s Carrot Cake; Hunte Law Group; Garden Gourmet; Westchester Road Runners; Bronx Ale House; Yo-Burger; The Northstar Group, Inc, Kingsbridge Social Club.